ChiRunning® & ChiWalking®
ChiRunning® & ChiWalking®
ChiRunning is all about teaching safe and efficient, natural running technique to reduce injury and improve personal performance. Our mission is to help you love running forever.
ChiWalking takes the benefits of walking beyond cardiovascular, aerobic and mental health, by addressing the needs of your whole person; joints and muscles, body and soul.
Private and group bookings available!
What is Chi?
ChiRunning & ChiWalking is based on movement principles of T’ai Chi, but you don’t need to know T’ai Chi to ChiRun or walk. All you need to know is how using your core can transform your running or walking.
- Chi (pronounced “chee”) is the energy that unites body, mind, and spirit.
- Energy moves from your core (also known as your “center” or “dantien”) into the limbs to create movement.
- Engaging your core and relaxing your limbs allows your legs to simply support your body weight instead of pushing or pulling it forward.
- When your structure is aligned and your muscles and joints are relaxed, chi can flow freely through the body, making running and walking feel effortless.
The ChiRunning® Technique
Since 1999, ChiRunning has helped thousands of runners transform their technique – reducing, preventing and recovering from injuries. Runners of all ages and levels have improved their efficiency and performance, and now find running to be pain-free, easier, and enjoyable. The main principles of ChiRunning include:
- Correct alignment and posture
- Landing with a midfoot strike
- Using a “gravity-assisted” forward lean
- Engaging core strength for propulsion
- Connecting the mind and body to prevent injury
The ChiWalking® Technique
The ChiWalking technique emphasises the proper biomechanics of walking including: good posture, loose joints, engaging one’s core muscles, and relaxing the peripheral muscles of the arms and legs. This approach makes walking easier on the body and helps improve and eliminate the aches, pains and discomfort of walking incorrectly. Since walking is such a basic, every day movement, when your walking form is improved, the benefits are far reaching.
The following Five Mindful Steps are addressed during the sessions to reinforce the mind-body connection that is integral to the ChiWalking technique.
- Get Aligned
- physically with your posture & mentally with your intentions
- Engage Your Core
- physically with your lower abdominals to create stability & mentally by using your will power
- Create Balance
- physically between your upper and lower body and between the right and left side of your body
- mentally by creating a balance and holistic fitness program
- Make a Choice
- physically to walk with inner strength and grace
- mentally by making the small positive choices that make a difference in your life
- Move Forward
- physically with consistency and confidence & mentally with focused spaciousness